Release 0.2 – Working on some more Bugs!

Hello there! on this blog I will go trough the list of bugs that I have fixed from GitHub. I will share my experience and the process of fixing them.

Issue #1 - Firefox Focus for Android

For this bug that I have found from GitHub, my task is to make small modification to the SearchEngineManager Java class. I have used Android Studio IDE to test and edit this code. I am a big fan of Mozilla applications and I am currently using Firefox Focus as my default browser on my mobile. This app is great because, it has a nice UI and it provides security and privacy features. Which is why I want to contribute on fixing this issue and get involve with the community.

The Process

After cloning & importing the project into Android Studio with success, these are the steps to solve the issue:

1. The first step before contributing on any issue for  Mozilla-mobile (Android-Focus) I had to change the build variant in android studio to “focusWebviewDebug“. 

This information can be found from their documentation.

Step #1
Step #2

2.  Secondly, I must navigate to the following path focus-android/…/SearchEngineManager.java and call the apply() method instead the commit(). The reason we are changing this is because, we want to avoid blocking the main thread. The change will make the app more responsive and efficient (performance wise).

 

3. For the final step, I had run unit tests locally (These tests are similar to Travis-CI). When the unit tests are completed without any major issue that correspond to the changes that I have made above, I am ready to commit the changes and push them to GitHub and create A PR.

Step #3

Issue #2 - Developer Tools Debugger

For the second bug, I had to add license headers to all HTML files. This is a simple process and I have used my favorite editor which is Visual Studio Code.

The Process

Issue #3 - Project Rosie

This time I have searched for a different project on GitHub and saw an issue which required to create issue template. GitHub allows you to create issues and pull request templates that allows the contributors to use. In the following examples I will explain how to create a Issue template for your GitHub repository. 

  1. Create a folder named .github to the root of your repository
  2. Create a .md file “issue_template.md”

Now you can edit the .md file and customize how the issue template will look like.

The way this works is that we are creating a hidden directory which GitHub will access to and will try to find the issue_template (you cannot change the name of this template, the name must stay as it is!).

Template Example
How The Template looks when creating an Issue

Release 0.2 Wrap Up

This experience was fun, fixing these issues I have learned more about Android Studio, creating templates for repositories on GitHub, and expend my git commands skills. This release have taught me how to adapt to new things quickly compare to my first bug. I am looking forward to contribute to various types of open source projects on GitHub.

This is the end results when the user opens an issue on GitHub for this project. This is useful as we can customize the way we want our issue template to look like. The purpose of this, is to use the template as a guidance but some projects requires you to fill the template form as requirement. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *